How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Helen Hill Your Own Question
Helen Hill
Helen Hill,
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 534
Experience:  Director at The Planning Crowd
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Helen Hill is online now

Who is entitled to get a U.K. old-age pension? Are Irish

This answer was rated:

Who is entitled to get a U.K. old-age pension?
Are Irish citizens who are also 'British Subjects with the right of abode in the U.K.' and who are resident in Ireland, entitled?
Are they entitled to claim the pension in both states?

Thank you for your question.

If you are resident in Ireland but you have never worked in Ireland you can apply for your contributory pension in Ireland or to the country where you last worked and paid social insurance.

If you are applying in Ireland you must complete the application form EUP 65 (pdf) and send it with the relevant documents such as birth and marriage certificates to the State Pension Contributory Section of the Department of Social Protection. Your application will be then sent to the International Pension Centre in the UK or to the appropriate EEA authority.

If you are applying to the UK for your UK State pension and you have not been sent an application form, you should contact the International Pension Centre

You will not be able to claim both but will need to decide which is most appropriate for you.

I hope this information helps.

Best regards, Helen

Helen Hill and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you