How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 11402
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

This is a bit complicated! I am an Irish citizen living in

This answer was rated:

This is a bit complicated! I am an Irish citizen living in the UK since 1973. I hold a valid Irish passport. I was born in Ghana in 1958 to Irish parents. Unfortunately my birth certificate was mislaid as my parents moved around Africa. I have tried to get a certified copy from the BDR in Accra but they say the records are too old and may have been lost in a fire. I have a photocopy of my birth certificate and the original of my baptismal certificate. I have contacted the Ghanian Embassy in Dublin and the Irish Embassy in London and both say to contact the other. Increasingly, a birth certificate is required as proof of identity in so many instances and I am really worried what will happen if the regulations for passport renewal required a birth certificate. Are there any alternatives I could persue?
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am happy to wait, thank you
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. DearCustomer the one thing I can suggest to you, if you haven't already done so, is to register your son's birth in the Irish Foreign Birth's Register as this will mean there is a permanent register of his birth with the Irish authorities which will be accepted for the purposes of any future Irish passport application. This Foreign Births Register means the Irish passport authorities have a permanent record of your son's birth in Ghana so it will be an insurance against him ever losing his Birth Certificate copy of his birth in Ghana. Irish citizenship is given on the basis of Foreign Births Register. Here is a link to the relevant page in the Irish Immigration & Immigration Service for the registration of his Foreign Birth

2. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am very puzzled as this answer has nothing to do with my question. My birth certificate is lost so the advice given is not relevant. And I am not ‘Customer’

3. Firstly, there is a legal procedure known as authenticating documents or Apostille for documents which validates them. As you have a copy of your Birth Certificate, the authorities in Ghana can testify to your Birth Certificate being a true and authentic copy and that the original is missing and lost in a fire. In this way, you can use your copy of your Birth Certificate to Register your Foreign Birth with the Irish Foreign Births Register. You will probably need assistance from a lawyer in Ghana who is familiar with the workings of the Government Department who deals with Births in Ghana. However, you need to realise that this situation has occurred in the past without persons affected suffering adverse consequences. However, the Irish authorities will accept a copy where the original is lost. You may have to employ an Irish lawyer to deal with the Irish end of the application for Registering your Foreign Birth as the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs who issue passports will have to satisfy themselves as to the veracity of what has happened.

4. The second issue you raise is that along with your question there appears a 'handle' or name with whoever asks the question. The handle 'Customer' is the handle which is attached to your question and this is why I used this moniker when I replied to your question as I assumed you had chosen it for yourself. However, if you are unhappy with this, I can have it removed. Be aware as well that Experts don't handle the interface with Customers so I only dealt with what presented itself in front of me.

Buachaill, Barrister
Satisfied Customers: 11402
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Buachaill and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you