JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I suffered a assault in march at an emergency services fund

i suffered a sexual assault in march at an emergency services fund raising event. I have no memory of the assault other than a flashback in a car park outside the hotel. I apparantly displayed extremely erratic and unusual behaviour and was falling down. It has transpired that I was covered in bruises and my jeans zip was broken and threads pulled on my underwear. I attended an assault unit and reported to the gardai. I felt my drink may have been spiked and the garda saod thst is what people say to cover up the fact that they have drank too much... he said assaults can range from a slap in the ass to a grope to a fondle to more serious things. He was agitated when i asked for a pulse no. The first set of foreinsic results have come back and while i showed neg at about 70 hours post the event for 40 drugs in my urine but there were levels of morphine present. The garda insisted that I said I took painkillers to which I replied I didnt.. I was in such shock I couldnt even think of myself. He said then maybe he was confusing me with someone else but still felt I said I had taken painkillers.. which would explain the morphine. I asked him to refer to his notes and there was no mention. At this point he tried to insist I must eat poppy seeds which can metabolize into morphine.. i told him i do not eat anything with poppy seeds as they stick in my teeth. I asked him to consider the possibility that i may have been drugged and he said thete would be no way of provimg the morphine was as a result of that night. No one who was with me has yet been interviewed, almost 5 months later and the man who they feel can be identified from cctv has not been approached. There are other issues but I am wondering is this the correct treatment to expect as a victim of a sexual assault?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The garda asked my sister to take photos of my bruises at the sexual assault unit... the nurse was horrified. When I discovered extra bruises on my inner thigh and buttox he said there was no way to tell if they were from an interaction or a fall. I told the garda that there had been a break in in the ladies dressing room on the night and he said he could not take my word for that... i have not yet seen my statement in order to sign it almost 5 months later... i am very unhappy with how my case has been handled. I have written a letter to the superintendent expressing my concerns and have a meeting with him next tues. my fear is that they will dismiss me as a crazy person. What should i expect and what can I do
Hello and thank you for your question.I am a UK and Republic of Ireland qualified lawyer. When did you write to the Superintendent? Have you reported to the Garda Ombudsman yet?Jim
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I wrote to the Superintendent around 19th July. I got a call Aug 1st to arrange a meeting with Superintendent for Aug 8th which was cancelled yesterday and delayed until next Tues 14th. Ithink i need to make a complaint to tge Ombudsman but need to be very clear about what my complaint is... is it lack of professionalism, breach of duty etc. Can you please advise me

Hi again

Thanks for the further details.

Yes, you most definitely need to escalate this to the Ombudsman.

The main issue is the Garda have failed in their duty of care to you and have failed to investigate the offence despite the fact you have evidence and witnesses.

You would be alleging professional misconduct on the Garda's part which could potentially lead to a miscarriage of justice.

Let me know if you want further assistance. If you can please accept the answer and give a star rating, I can offer unlimited follow up Q&A's at no extra charge

Kind regards,

Jim

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am happy to pay the additional 50 euro for a phone conversation if you feel you can advise me

Hi there, we can deal with it on here if you like.

If you would like a call, I can offer that.

Let me know

Kind regards,

Jim

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what i need is advice going into my meeting... the super will only allow my husband to attend with me i was hoping my brother could attend for support. I also need assistance with my complaint. The garda has interviewed the hotel owner and another staff member and says he is waiting on the rest of the foreinsics before he approaches the man on cctv. Its his comments to me that i am most upset about re assault and his attitude towatds potential drugging. At tge end of the day despite showing negative for 40 drugs there were traves of morphine in my urine. that is significant to me... he doesnt seem to think so. It is v complicated to explain.. thats why im wondering if a phone call would be better..
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can u let me know a time you can talk to me

Hi there, I am free now - will give you a call

Just to confirm we spoke and I have advised.

Kind regards,

Jim

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much Jim I appreciate your timely response and your advice.

Hi there, I sent an email this morning.

Let me know if I can assist further.

Best wishes

Jim