Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
23403904

I run an online jewelry business, I shipped an enagagement

I run an online jewelry business, I shipped an enagagement ring to a an Irish customer based in India. I accidently put it down as a silver ring and Indian customs requested the customer pay a $1000 fee plus additional charges throguhout a 4 day ordeal. The cusatomer is now threatening to take legal action against me to the value of 25k (no idea how he came up with that figure). My question is, am I liable for such action even tho he was the one who paid the extortionate fees instead of having the ring returned to me? He never contacted me until the ordeal was over.
JA: You have to pay for your first question. If you sign up for a membership, there is a free trial for questions after that. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: So what I need to sign up for membership here before having the question answered?
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Was the ring indeed silver pr just silver coloured?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The ring was 14k white gold, I shipped it as a silver ring by mistake. I think that is irrelevant tho, as Indian customs would have required a fee to release it anyway, they have this thing called a CHA which is separate to customs, customer has to hire a CHA and they overcharge. It's a bit of a mess really, and although it was unfortunate that the customer got extorted like that, I just don't think its my fault. He should of refues to pay and had the ring returned. Or am I wrong?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The ring was 14k white gold, I shipped it as a silver ring by mistake. I think that is irrelevant tho, as Indian customs would have required a fee to release it anyway, they have this thing called a CHA which is separate to customs, customer has to hire a CHA and they overcharge. It's a bit of a mess really, and although it was unfortunate that the customer got extorted like that, I just don't think its my fault. He should of refused to pay and had the ring returned. Or am I wrong?

I agree with you, the customs charge would have been a matter for the customer in any event and if they were unhappy to pay it, they could have refused the delivery.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, that's most important. Appreciate your advice

A good example of how this all works on an international website is iHerb. They offer different shipping and make it clear that some shipping includes taxes and duties and some does not. I have been hit for DHL charges before, but it was a matter for me to pay them in order to get my goods. This usually included VAT and a pricey DHL charge, but either way, it was up to me, the customer, to pay it!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No problem, I would be really grateful if you might please give me rating.