Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am in the process of buying a house and I have been

Good afternoon.
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am in the process of buying a house and I have been mislead by the auctioneers the house was advertised for 185k and i made an offer of 180k which was accepted
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: i paid the booking fee on the 12th of july and on the 20th of september i found out the vendors solicitiors won't issue a contract
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: ireland
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really. i wanted to know if i have a case against the auctioneers since they held our money and wasted our time for 3 months

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Yes, you do have a case against the auctioneers for false representing that the property was for sale when it wasn't. Essentially, you can sue them for misrepresentation and breach of contract. Additionally, if the owner of the property gave the house to the auctioneer when it wasn't for sale, then you would have a case against the actual owner as well. However, if the situation is that the auctioneer held out that a property was for sale when it wasn't then you can sue the auctioneer. So, you should get yourself a solicitor and sue the auctioneer for the time lost and money wasted in seeking to purchase this property. You should also get our booking fee back. If the auctioneer was in breach in any other way, such as holding other monies, then you should sue for their return as well.

2. Essentially, it is a breach of an auctioneer's duty to hold out that a property is for sale when it isn't.

3. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will remain unpaid by the website despite answering your question.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thank you

4. You are welcome.