Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Do you have to sign an Indemnity against the solicitor and

Do you have to sign an Indemnity against the solicitor and executor to get your entitlements
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ireland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The will is finished except for the money due to Residue
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The will was distributed in bits and pieces over the last two years

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
OK

1. No, you don't have to sign an Indemnity giving a no liability situation to the Executor or solicitor when getting your bequest or entitlement under a will. This is merely the solicitor and Executor seeking something to which they are not entitled in law. No beneficiary has to give a solicitor or Executor an Indemnity in law to receive what is their due under a will. A solicitor or executor seeking an Indemnity suggests they did something wrong during the administration of the will and now are seeking to exclude liability. So, you can simply refuse to provide the Indemnity and the executor and solicitor has not got any comeback as their duty in law is to administer the estate. Not get an Indemnity for doing so. If the solicitor persists in this course, you can report him or her to the Law Society for lack of professional practice and conduct unbecoming of a solicitor.

2. If you require any further advice about the Indemnity, I will be happy to advise further. Thank you for using the website. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience