Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am a member of the Board of a very small voluntary

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I am a member of the Board of a very small voluntary organisation. We are employing part time admin support for the first time. I am looking for a template for a simple contract of employment document. Can/do you assist with this please. .
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: we have a hr person on the board but we need a template document
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I'm a volunteer board member
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: as this is the first time we/the voluntary org has employed anyone we are trying to be careful about the legalities of employing someone. Its a secretary/admin role 2/3 days per month and there's a brief job description in place and interviews have taken place and a candidate identifeied so its the final step in terms of issuing the employment contract that we need reassurance on
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  ben.jones replied 4 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  ben.jones replied 4 days ago.

Will this person work as an employee or will they be self employed?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Employed but it might be helpful to consider both
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I’m not in a position to talk do I’m happy with typing for the moment
Expert:  ben.jones replied 4 days ago.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  ben.jones replied 4 days ago.

Just to clarify, we are an online chat service only and do not hold template for any documents, so if you were hoping to get something like that from here, unfortunately I cannot help with that

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok, I have sample templates who I can work with once I get clarity on the important legal conditions
Expert:  ben.jones replied 4 days ago.

Can I just check if you are based in ROI?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Expert:  ben.jones replied 4 days ago.

Ok you posted this in UK law, I will transfer it to the right section on our site

Customer: replied 4 days ago.