Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I get maintenance for my 4 children from my ex which is

I get maintenance for my 4 children from my ex which is through the courts. He has now emailed me to say he is unemployed and wont be paying anything. What do i do? The order is for 100 every week he doesnt pay anything else thrpughout the year

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

1. The first thing you need to realise is that if your ex is unemployed he will be entitled to €204 Employment Seekers' Benefit and 30% of this will be given over to you each week to provide for your 4 children. Essentially, where there are four children, 30% of a person's net after tax income goes to pay child maintenance. So, here approximately €60 of his Employment Seeker's Benefit will have to be handed over to you. If he does not voluntarily hand over the money, then you will have to go to court to enforce this order.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No thank no call

2. You should formally write to your ex and state that he must pay over 30% of what he earns or receives in unemployment assistance and if he doesn't, then you will go to court to enforce the amount.

3. You don't have to take a phone call. Thank you for using the website. Please be sure to Rate the answer using the buttons at the top of the page as otherwise your Expert remains unpaid by the website despite answering your question.