Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
23403904

Just some info please.My 13 year old daughter was recently

Customer Question

Hi, Just some info please.My 13 year old daughter was recently the victim of persistant unwanted touching by 4 boys at school. The final insult to her was when she was groped in the swimming pool and the school principle was informed. She investigated it and found the Bullying had occurred and put sanctioned on the boys involved. What I need to know is (1) does this come under Bullying Policy or is it sexual assault and (2) should this be reported to the Garda. Thanks
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: In Ireland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just to the school and the Principle in her opinion has dealt with it
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really. I suppose I'm not entirely happy with the way it has been dealt with
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 11 days ago.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yes please find a reliable person to answer rhis as i have paid my fee and need to know where I stsnd and if the correct decision has bern made.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 11 days ago.

This is quite simply sexual assault and should be reported to the Gardai. I really feel for your daughter, this sort of behavior is completely unacceptable.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The boys involved are 13-14 years of ago. The school feel that they have dealt with the matter by putting sanctions on the boys, and one boys father is a barrister so he's appealing to the board of management and as for the principle, she feels that its been investigated and to put the issue to bed now. I want a sexual harassment/ assualt policy to be implemented to safeguard further instances of this type of behaviour. My daughter wants to remsin at the school so for what i can see, I'm left with mo option but to drop the issue. Thanks for your advice, and if it were your daughter what woukd you do. Thanks
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 7 days ago.

If it was my daughter I think that I would go to the gardai. I would not want her to think that what happened to her was permissible or okay. Gosh, I really feel for her. As a woman, I know that we grow up with routine sexual harassment and begin to see it as normal, but it really is not okay.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I have been unwell and unable to respond to requests but am back and present now!