Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
23403904

I wanted to get some advice before I go to a solicitor. I

Hi there! I wanted to get some advice before I go to a solicitor. I have to travel for work quite often and my company operates a pay and claim system back for expenses However the issue I experience is that they do not have any agreed payment schedule available to staff who need to claim back, and my position is quite unique in that I am the only staff member in my regional office that needs to travel so much. Is it legal for a company to expect that a staff member travelling for business has to sacrifice their own salary and then claim it back?
JA: Have you discussed this scheduling issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I have raised this with several managers in work, but I have had no solution to this yet
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Full time employee and no we don't have a union
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that I have now told my company that I cannot continue to sacrifice my own personal salary to support my travel and that they need to propose a solution

Good morning, does your contract cover this at all?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My contract states that my normal place of work is in Galway but they will require me to carry out my work on a temporary or permanent basis at such location as is reasonably required from time to time. I have been asked to travel to our London office by verbal agreement every month.

The contract carries on to say that I will be reimbursed by the company for all agreed expenses exclusively and necessarily incurred by me in the performance of my duties, subject to the production of expenditure satisfactory to the company within four weeks of being incurred however I feel that my role demands more frequent travel and I am continuously down on my salary because I have to pay and claim back

Also there have been examples where I have not been paid within this time

Okay, well from a practical perspective it seems like you have taken the correct tack which is to seek a solution for the problem from then. I think that it would be reasonable to expect them to pay within a very short period of time, the maximum being the amount of time within which your credit card bill is to be paid. If they are not willing to do so, it would not be unreasonable to demand that they arrange and pay for your travel.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you that's helpful to know. I'll wait for them to come back with a solution

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Legal Eagle, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor

Wishing you the very best with this, it simply does seem fair that you should be required to be short large sums for company expenditure!