Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
23403904

I have a discrimination case, Manager, Employees, No

I have a discrimination case
JA: Was this discrimination issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Manager
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Employees
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I am required to wear certain colour shirts at work. My immediate manager is not required to. A new male employee joined the company in October and is also not required to wear certain colours - they are not a manager either (just an ordinary employee like me)

Please detail how you have been discriminated against and on what grounds.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
See above

I'm sorry, all I can see is the following:

I have a discrimination case
JA: Was this discrimination issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Manager
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Employees
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Customer: replied 4 days ago.

So you are saying that only female employees are required to wear certain coloured shirts? How long have you been employed with this employer?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I am the only male that is required to wear certain colours. Femail employees are also required to wear certain colours. I am employed for the last four years, however this rule is only enforced since the summer

Okay, have you any idea why they are discriminating against you in particular? It sounds like victimisation.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
One of the female employees commented to a director that I should be wearing certain colours like them because I am an employee and not a manager. The manager advised the director that if I have an issue with it to come to him, but I wouldn't be comfortable with this. Also the new employee hasn't been advised and can wear whatever colour they like

Are you a member of a particular social or ethnic group? For example are you foreign, disabled or LGBT? Clearly gender is not the issue as both men and women are being required to wear a certain coloured short apart from the new male employee. The reason I am asking as if you are a being "discriminated" against, there needs to be a reason. Otherwise it appears to be victimisation, which is something completely different.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I do have a mental health condition but the employee that reported it wouldn't be aware of this. The manager doesn't comply with the rule.

Okay, so the manager doesn't know about this?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No the female employee who said I should be like them because I was only staff - she wouldn't be aware of my condition

Okay, well I would simply ask the manager to make the other male employee aware of the rules. Once it is brought to his attention, he cannot simply ignore it and treat the new guy differently.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I imagine he wouldn't do anything about it. He is ignoring me since I advised the director of the issue.

Okay, and have you put this in writing? Could you simply refuse to comply with the rule like the new guy?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I haven;t put it in writing

As it is clearly upsetting for you and you feel victimised, it seems prudent to put it in writing to the manager and director so that everyone is treated the same!

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
OK thank you for your help

My pleasure. It is horrible to feel uncomfortable in your place of work!

I hope that you get it sorted!