Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

How do the garda have to post out a speeding fine. I was

How long do the garda have to post out a speeding fine. I was pulled over 4 wks ago and have received nothing in the post so far

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. The Gardaí have up to six months to issue a Summons for speeding. So whilst a fixed penalty notice would issue in a short period of weeks, if you are going to be Summonsed and taken to court the period involved in longer, being six months. So, you will probably still get some notification in the post if you got pulled over for an alleged speeding offence.

2. Thank you for using the website. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you . Why would I be summonsed and taken to court. The garda just said it was a fine and 3 penality points.

3. If the matter is being dealt with by just a fine and 3 penalty points, then the Gardaí have 56 days within which to send out the notice to you. The reason I mentioned getting Summonsed is that in your question, you made no mention of the seriousness of the offence. Now that you have, a more accurate answer can be given.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

4. To complete the process with the website, please use the buttons at the top of the page to Rate the answer. This is how the website decides to pay the Expert for answering your question.