How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 313
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now

I was married for 22 years and separated from my husband in

This answer was rated:

Hi, I was married for 22 years and separated from my husband in 2017.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: My husband has savings and investments worth over €150,000 which he is using to fund his pension. Am I entitled to half of this money?
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Court case scheduled for 12th February in Portlaoise, Co. Laois
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will receive a lump sum payment of approx. €44,500 when I retire and an annual pension of approx. €14,000

Good afternoon, are you still looking for help with this? If so please let me know and I will respond.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Pleased to assist. Okay, given the duration of the marriage, whilst there is not an automatic entitlement to half, there is a very strong argument that all marital assets should be split 50/50! Does that help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I should also mention that I moved out of the family home and my two children are living with me full time and he gives 250 per month in maintenance. He is in the family home and wants to sell that and split the proceeds 50/50. I would prefer to move back into the family home. I am unsure how this works.
How old are the children?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
17 (18 in August) and 20
As you have already moved out, it may be difficult to get back in. Where are you and the children living?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are renting a house in town
If the rent is sustainable, the chances of getting back into the house are lower. You could attempt to bargain his share of the house as against his pension?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, thank you
No problem. Would you please kindly rate my response?
Legal Eagle and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you