Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

How do i know if a solicitor is good at family law, i have

Hi how do i know if a solicitor is good at family law, i have no idea about this area and I am going to need alot of help to separate from my husband
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No nothing, I have told him that I want to leave him - he said that I can but that he is not moving and neither are our 4 kids!
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in monaghan
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i don't think so

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. The only way you will know whether a solicitor is good at Family law or not is by asking other clients of the solicitor or other solicitors working in this area of work. This is because Family Law cases are held in private so most cases have no record of them taking place and only the parties are in court to see how a solicitor runs a case. Family law cases don't generally appear in any newspaper and when a case is reported in the Law Reports, the names are redacted so people don't get identified. So, the only real way you can assess whether a solicitor is good at Family Law or not is to ask another client of the solicitor or better still, a barrister or solicitor who works in that area of law and who will have personal experience of dealing with the solicitor concerned. However, your first question of any solicitor should be whether they specialise in Family law or what share of their practice is taken up with Family law, because practice makes perfect!

2. Thank you for using the website. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks for your reply. There are so many solicitors, have you any recommendations in the clones Monaghan area.

3. I am sorry but I have no personal knowledge of any of the solicitors in Clones. You will need someone who works in that part of Ireland to give you a recommendation.

4. Thank you for Accepting the answer. Best wishes.