Peter Collins
Peter Collins,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed
101823876

Perl, Well my grandmother “wrote a will” to sell the house

Hi Perl, Well my grandmother “wrote a will” to sell the house she lived in, in 2010. My father was the only one living with her and I moved in after that. In 2014 she passed away, but in 2010 she had hernia problems and was unable to receive an operation as she was 86 years of age and her heart was weak. She wrote in her will that her house was to be sold and divided evenly between her 5 children. My father “ who was her eldest son” passed away October gone. As a grandchild I took care of her along with my father but my uncle was claiming ‘ carers allowance’ but did not care for her of stay here and often with her. Also in 2010 she would have been unable to walk to town alone so was aided to make a will. I’m asking for advice in can I report my uncle for claiming benefits he did not deserve, and am I able to report that my grandmother was ill at the time of writing a will, or can I change that. Your advice would help me dearly .
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: I am in co Mayo Ireland
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: The hospital would have the records of my grandmother when she was in hospital with her hernia. I’m sure documents can prove my uncle was claiming carers allowance as my father was unable to claim it
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that’s all for now thank you.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm just reviewing your question.

I appreciate your grandmother was ill at at the time in 2010, but was she of sound mind? Have you seen the will and is it properly executed - witnessed etc?

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

Can I assist you with your question?

Kind regards,

Peter

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

Can I assist you with your question?

Kind regards,

Peter

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

Can I assist you further with your question?

Kind regards,

Peter

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello sorry about the late reply, yes I’ve seen a copy of the will. It’s hard to explain that she was sound in mind at times she would be confused and would be willing to to do what one of her sons and daughter would say.

Thanks for coming back to me.

You would have to have good evidence that she was not of sound mind or that she was unduly influenced in order challenge the will. In terms of reporting your uncle - this is up to you.

Can I assist further at this stage?

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (top right of your screen) I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ehm thanks for your help, would I be able to contact you again if I have any more questions??

Yes of course - always happy to assist. Kind regards, Peter