Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

If you have a car crash and your car is un taxed does this

Customer Question

If you have a car crash and your car is un taxed does this affect your ability to claim as you car should not have been driving in the first place
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ireland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Happened 2 days ago, Police were on scene and took all information 3 car collision
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all really
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 7 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. The fact your car was not taxed with Road Tax certificate does not affect your ability to make a claim for compensation for negligence against the other driver if they caused the accident. However, you need to realise that now, as the Gardaí were called to the scene and took details, that you are likely to be prosecuted for failure to display a Road Tax certificate. However, this potential criminal prosecution is totally separate from your ability to make a claim for compensation for injury or loss suffered as a result of the accident. Essentially, they are two different things and you should make a claim if you have one, against the other driver(s) if they were responsible for causing the accident.

2. If you require any further clarification, I will be happy to help. Thank you for using the website. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.