Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

How are you! I got caught with a small amount of drugs for

Customer Question

Hi how are you! I got caught with a small amount of drugs for personal use and will be attending court at the end of April I was just wondering is a lawyer necessary for this? I have never been in any trouble with the law before, I heard it’s just a fine I will have to pay, which is grand but is a lawyer necessary?
JA: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?
Customer: A small amount of cocaine And the court date for this is a the 23rd of April It was at a festival
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: a festival called life in mullingar last summer
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that’s everything thank you so much! I’ve never been in any trouble with the law before so I’m just not too sure how it works
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I was also wondering if you knew roughly how much the fine would be, I of course have no problem paying it but just want to be completely prepared
Expert:  WAQAR NOOR replied 10 days ago.

I am reviewing your question, please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks so much I’ll keep an eye on my emails

My apologies - I did not realise you were based in Ireland - unfortunately, I unable to assist you today so must "Opt Out" but I am certain that one of my colleagues will be able to assist. All the Best.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

1. The reality is that there is a discount in sentencing if you are legally represented. So, having a solicitor and paying them €50 to represent you might be the difference between getting the court Poor Box, which is not a conviction and getting a small fine of about €400. So, you should realise that District Court Judges are themselves former lawyers. So, there is an inherent discount for any Defendant who gets a solicitor to represent them in court. In essence, Judges prefer dealing with one of their own and tend to be intolerant towards Defendants who are representing themselves. So, for a better result, you should get a solicitor. It won't cost the solicitor a thought to deal with your case. Additionally, you should attempt to figure out if the judge has a solicitor who is their "favourite" because that solicitor will get you a better result. I am afraid human nature works to the same degree among judges and lawyers as it does in real life.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

2. If you require further clarification, I will be happy to help. Thank you for using the website. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you so much for all this information! By what you provided I think it’s defiantly a good idea getting one, the hearing is in mullingar I was wondering would you know any firms there?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
And how would it be possible to find out the judges favourites?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

3. You need to ask someone who works in the court system, like the District Court clerk or some other solicitor. A good guide is to look in the local paper and see what solicitor is doing the majority of criminal Defence work. They will have built up a substantial amount of goodwill to keep and retain that work, so they will have a good working relationship with the judge.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

4. Be aware that the Terms & Conditions of this website prohibit Experts from recommending someone. So, you will have to find out from some clients who have dealt with solicitors in Mullingar to see who there is to act.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is it legal for me to ask someone who works in the disctrict court who is the judges favourite?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

5. There is nothing to prevent it. It goes on all the time. They will be delighted to tell someone.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
So what I should do is, call the mullingar court and ask them which solicitor the judge favours?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

6. Can you not do what they do in the country and go down and see the person in person. No one gives out information of this nature on the phone. They will laugh at you if you do that. Have you no understanding of how Ireland works?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry to say we’re actually in the muddle of a Pandemic at the moment so it’s not all that easy to just go down to mullingar, I am here simply to get advice if I’m asking you these questions I obviously don’t know the answer. Thanks
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

7. Your other alternative is to go and attend the court and see whom the judge favours. You can form your own opinion and ask them there and then to represent you.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

8. Be sure to complete the process with the website and Rate the answer. This is necessary as otherwise there is no incentive to answer any further questions.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It’s just the problem is I can’t go down to mullingar regularly with the corona virus
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am paying for this service. When I get the full information I need, I will rate the service.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

9. What information have you not got?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am asking you how to find out the judges favourite without going down to mullingar because there is a Pandemic going on in Ireland, so I can not just drive down when it suits me. I would also like to know what’s the worst thing that could happen in the court
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

10. Why don't you ring some solicitor's office and see if they will tell you. The worst thing that can happen is you get a €1,500 fine and get bound to the peace for three years.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What does bound to the peace mean
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
And you told me they’d laugh at me if I rang them
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

11. I will leave this thread and let some other Expert satisfy your requirements. Best of luck with everything.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I’m just here to look for help so please refer someone who will help me in a patient and polite manner thanks
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 9 days ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find continuing a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks so much Nicola I’m okay to wait!!