How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 12046
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I found an add somebody was renting a room, I came to the

This answer was rated:

Hi, I found an add somebody was renting a room, I came to the address I payed for the room. Now I thing the man is a HUB (Housing Assistance Payment) tenat and he can not rent the rooms in the apartament, how can I find out if he is a HUB tenant or another social assistant tenant? thanks.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Ireland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: sorry couldn't understand the question
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, thanks.

1. Essentially, you should look up and see who is the owner of the flat in the Land Registry (known as the Property Registration Authority in Ireland) and find out who they are. Then ask them. Alternatively, you might find that someone in the same block who lives near the flat knows who is the owner. Then give the owner a ring and find out. Whilst there is no publicly accessible register of HAP tenants, there is a register of landlords in the Property Registration Authority and you can also search there. Be aware that you are obliged to register your tenant in the PRAI.IE website anyway. So, they will be able to tell you if you are dealing with a registered landlord or with some other tenant. Be aware that this person has to be registered as a landlord with the Property Registration Authority to be able to rent a room to you. So, you can use either of these methods to find out if this person is genuine or not.

2. If you require any further clarification, I will be happy to help. Thank you for using the website. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but if this person is not registered as a landlord with the Property Registration Authority and he rent in the apartment two rooms to different people then he brakes the low? how can I report him to the authorities? thanks.

3. You can make a complaint on the Property Registration Authority website as they have jurisdiction in all complaints about the renting of rental property, including in your situation, where you are being rented a room. It costs €40 but you can initiate a complaint against this person who is renting these two rooms and the authorities will take it from there. Be aware this person is probably operating without a licence as they haven't registered with the PRAI and this is why you should start a complaint there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I have given the money for the rent I gave cash, is written in our conversation on what's up how much I was given every month and how much is the deposit, also I took a screenshot of his add on the website how he was renting the room, I also have prof of adress that I leave at that adress, and my witnesses testimony, and I filmed on a date camera that I leave there, so this is enough to prove that he rents the room? thanks.
4. Yes, this evidence is sufficient to show that this person is renting you a room. This will form the basis for your complaint to the PRAI.
Buachaill and 2 other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you