Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

How far can my ex move with our son age 6, we have joint

How far can my ex move with our son age 6, we have joint custody and guardianship. She lives 12 km away beside the school he is attending and has just told me she is moving 200 km away next week and there is the coronavirus also to think about now.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: MY solr. is not available for 3 weeks due to the virus
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: mayo
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: cant think

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. I regret to say that Family Law in Ireland does not prevent people moving to a different part of the country to live there or to seek work, when there is a child who is subject to joint custody and guardianship. Essentially, the only prohibition on movement with a child subject to joint custody and guardianship is if your ex were to leave the country of Ireland. However, as long as she stays within the Republic of Ireland, the law does not prevent her moving to a different part of the country to live. However, even though your ex might now live in a different part of the country, you will still have the right to have your input into determining any matter which is relevant to the guardianship of your child. So, you can still have an input into educational matters, for instance.

2. If you require any further clarification, I will be happy to help. Thank you for using the website. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.

3. You are welcome.