JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I booked Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane Ireland for 18th April.

Hi I booked Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane Dublin Ireland for 18th April. Can I change that date to 11 Sept
JA: How long have you had your 18TH?
Customer: 1 night
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: I got on touch with the hotel they said they could change the date no problem but ye have to contact them to say that's OK because I booked it through ye
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don't thi k so

Hello, this is Jim and I’m a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) happy to help you today.

What has the hotel said exactly?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
That they have the date iam looking for in September for the same price but you have to contact the hotel as we booked through booking. Com

Thanks, that makes sense, are you able to contact Booking.com to change it?

They should change the booking - you have consumer rights which would be infringed if they refused to change the date for you. You could then sue for breach of contract. I presume you are in Ireland and not the UK

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes I am in Ireland

OK, it's easy to issue a small claim if the hotel refuses to change your booking, I can detail how to pursue them if they do not help you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you I will try booking.com again. I rang them earlier they said there lines were too busy &gave me their website which was of no use

They are very busy at the moment due to the virus and people demanding refunds 24/7.

Do you want to come back here once you have spoken to them? Or I can set out how to demand your money back now if that suits? So you then have the details if you choose to do that

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
If you could set up the details of demanding your money back that would be great

OK, will get the details to you in a couple of minutes for you

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

So if the hotel doesn't refund you, your rights have been breached under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980.

You should write to the hotel and tell them this and that you want your money back in 14 days otherwise you will sue. You can use the attached letter, just remove the reference to "faulty/not fit for purpose" and instead put in breach of contract.

You can use the Court Service Online website to start a claim against the hotel.

The fee to start the claim is 25 euro and this is added on to the amount which you paid to the hotel.

You will need to register as a new user at https://www.csol.ie/ccms/welcome.html

Once you have done that, the Small Claims Registrar serves the court documents upon the defendant. If the defendant disputes the claim then the Registrar sends you a copy of the response.

The Registrar will try to resolve the claim for you both - if it does not resolve then the Registrar will pass the claim to the nearest District Court where in most cases the dispute is decided on paper but the judge may decide to list a hearing in case the papers do not enable them to make a decision.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Also, I'll check back in with you in 1 day on 3/27/2020. I can also answer any additional questions that may arise. Don't worry, there's no additional fee for this follow-up.