Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I was in a post office last Friday and I bought a postal

Hi, I was in a post office last Friday and I bought a postal order by cash, and asked to lodge money into my account. She took the money and forgot about it. When I reminded her she lodge money to my account, but she looked confused. Last Monday she send me a letter that on CCTV she saw me put that money into my pocket. I went to talk about the letter to her, she refused to show me CCTV and she said she will send it to guard station, she wasn't friendly and I told her please do that. What is the law in this matter? I am sure of my action and don't mind CCTV checked but her behaviour was aggressive and unprofessional. Thanks
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ireland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not in my knowledge
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's a whole story
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The letter was not official and had no stamp on it.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just need to know, should let this go or should I complain about her behaviour and her accusation?

1. The first thing about the legal position here is that it is perfectly lawful for the Post Office to use CCTV to ascertain what happened in their post office and whether you gave the lady money or not. Additionally, they are under no obligation to show you their CCTV footage. The onus is on you to sue them for the money you lost if you want to pursue the issue. Then, if there is a fight in court about whether the money was paid over or not, you will be able to see the CCTV footage in advance of the hearing of the action. The Gardaí are unlikely to get involved and they will simply leave the issue to civil remedy. So, if you want the money back, you should see your solicitor and issue legal proceedings for the return of the money. It is purely up to you whether you want to sue for the money or to make a complaint about this lady's behaviour and accusation. You were the person present and it was your money. So, only you can make the decision what you want to do about it.

2. If you require any clarification, I will be happy to help.

3. Thank you for using the website. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.