Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I was admitted into hospital on the 29th January to 23rd

Hi, my name is***** was admitted into hospital on the 29th January to 23rd March as Involuntary patient due to i didnt take my Insulin for 10 days+also I put a plastic bag over my head in the ward. My psychiatrist made admission order against me. A Tribunal was held. After Tribunal Hearing my psychiatrist made a renewal order against me. On the 23rd March my psychiatrist asked me how I was feeling and was I ready to go home? I lied to her only to get out of hospital. On the 26th March I was admitted into hospital again cos I didnt take my insulin again for few days. I am a Voluntary patient in a psychiatrist ward now. I was wondering can I have my Tribunal Reviewed, what can I say? Can u help me please? My solicitor told me today that my psychiatrist evoked my renewal order when i was discharged from hospital on the 23rd March. He said my psychiatrist has not made any admission or renewal orders against me now. What advise can u give me please? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Waiting for reply please
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still waiting for a reply please

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Dear Sheila, I would advise you to stay where you are until you feel better. As you are a voluntary patient, you are free to leave the psychiatric hospital if you wish. However, when you left on 23rd March, it was only three days (26th March) before you had to return to the psychiatric hospital. So, this time I would advise you to stay in the psychiatric hospital until you feel fully well. That is the only way to return to full health.

2. I would also advise you to forget about reviewing your tribunal decision. Now, because you are a voluntary patient, any Tribunal decision is now extant - it no longer has any application to you. So, you should remain where you are, until such times as you feel well enough and strong enough in yourself to go back to a normal life. I would recommend moving to a situation where you spend weekends at home before you go to leave, so as to acclimatise yourself to life outside. Moving home at one go is often a precipitous move and you are best take it gradually until such times as you are fully strong in yourself to deal with every aspect of day to day life. Life outside is often a shock to the system after being hospitalised for a period of time. So, take things slowly.

3. If you require any further assistance, I will be happy to help. Thank you for using the website. Please Rate or accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yes I am a Voluntary patient now. I cant understand why my psychiatrist wont allow me have my personal belongings back, can she do that to me? Once my psychiatrist discharge me, she doesn't provide leave for me, like you said go home weekends+return to hospital weekdays then gradually work on from there as I have been in hospital a long time now.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cant hear the phone as I am Deaf. Please reply by email to me please.

4. A psychiatrist cannot withhold personal belongings without good cause. So, you should speak to some other nurse or orderly in the hospital to see about getting your belongings back. Normally, these are returned when you leave hospital as there is no need for them in the hospital. I would also suggest that you ask your psychiatrist for a second opinion about being let out for weekends to ease the difficulty of returning to ordinary life. Whilst this one psychiatrist's opinion might follow a certain practice, a different psychiatrist might have a different opinion about the process of returning to ordinary life.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did speak to my niurse+she has to follow my psychiatrist instructions that I cant have my personal belongings ie nighties, underwears etc. I am a Voluntary patient now. A psychiatrist instead of my psychiatrist said I cant discharge myself from hospital as I am at a high risk of danger to myself. That's why she wont discharge me from hospital. How long can my psychiatrist keep me Voluntary in hospital for? I dont want to stay in hospital forever. So far I am 58 days in hospital.
5. I would advise you to stay in hospital until you feel better in yourself as being in hospital is a protected environment. Then, when you are better you can go home at your leisure. Being in hospital is not so bad. You get all your meals prepared, you have the company of others and it is easy to take your medication.
7. There is no point in putting a number on how long you have been in hospital. Simply stay there until you feel strong again.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I hate been in hospital. It's no place for me at all. I rather go home than to be in here. That's the truth. I can prepare my own meals myself. I like my own company. But forget my meds.

8. Maybe you have to just realise that for the moment, you are better off in hospital, whether you like being there or not. However, these are issues you should discuss out with your nurse and psychiatrist.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did discuss with my psychiatrist that I want to be discharged from here. She refused me. I'm sick of been in hospital, I am in hospital 58 days today. I'm fed up of it. But what are my rights for discharging myself from hospital as I am a Voluntary patient now? I was thinking if my psychiatrist thinks I am at high risk of danger to myself, why didnt she make me Involuntary instead of Voluntary?

9. Dear Sheila, be aware that as a voluntary patient you can leave at any stage from the hospital. However, be aware that if you go to leave, when you are a danger to yourself, you run the risk of immediately being converted to an involuntary patient and detained under the Mental Health Act, because the test for admission includes patients who are a danger to themselves. So, you are better off remain involuntary and wait until you get strong before you leave the hospital. Time will pass quickly and you will feel and be better when you come out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
U say as a Voluntary patient that I can leave the hospital anytime. That's not true. My psychiatrist wont discharge me from here for a very long long time. I dont want that to happen. I want get out of here ASAP.

10. Dear Sheila, legally speaking, you can leave any time as a voluntary patient. However, your psychiatrist will change your status to an involuntary patient should you leave because you are a danger to yourself. From your own point of view, because you are a danger to yourself and forget to take your meds, it is better for your personal safety and vitality, that you remain a patient for a longer period of time. Ultimately, you should seek what is best for your health, over the longer term and not let your current dislike of hospital get the better of you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand what u are saying but you must see from my point of view that I am sick of been in hospital so long. Its driving me insane. I dont think I will feel better for a very long long time cos of the way I feel.

11. The only advice I can give to you is to be patient and to give yourself time. Mental illness heals very slowly. So, think in terms of being there until you no longer feel poorly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have been too patient for too long, 2 months in hospital to date. They do nothing for me. I am going to ask my psychiatrist tmw that I want to discharge myself from here and see what she says.

12. That is something that you can do. It will make clear where everyone stands.

13. Would you please Rate the answer or Accept the answer using the buttons at the top of the page.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience