How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 11892
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I need help with a notice claim, Ireland, No, No

This answer was rated:

I need help with a notice claim
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ireland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I am looking to get guidance regarding a notice of seizure I received. The notice of seizure is for 300g of snuff tobacco.

In reality the package does not contain any tobacco what so ever, but rather just nicotine pouches.

The notice also states that Revenue Commisoners may offer settlement terms and if a customs offence is committed, the offender is liable to prosecution.

I would like to understand what the risks are here and whether I should file a notice of claim?

Thank you already beforehand.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. I would definitely file a claim notice or a Civil Bill here to claim back from the Revenue Commissioners, the nicotine pouches which were seized. Essentially, if snuff tobacco was the stated ground for seizure, then the Customs official made a grievous error. So, you should seek to get them back. I would, however, advice you to get a solicitor to help you with the issue of the Civil Bill against the Revenue. This is because, if you are successful, which you should be given the facts, you will be able to claim back your legal costs for getting the Civil Bill issued and delivered, as part of your claim. It will also ensure you get a professional job done and no legal technicality will defeat your claim. This is a problem when a lay litigant attempts to do their own legal work.

2. If you require any further clarification, I will be happy to help. Thank you for using the website. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.

Buachaill and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you