How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 13222
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Can I sue ex for emotional abuse of me and my 2 children?

This answer was rated:

Can I sue ex for emotional abuse of me and my 2 children? which are not his children, twice he was physically abusive to my sons
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No I have not approached guards. I have extensive text messages that confirm co ercive control
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Ireland
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get an answer please?

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am ok.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Yes, you can sue your ex for emotional abuse and physical abuse of you and your children. Essentially, each of these acts constitutes an assault which is a cause of action for which money damages results. So, you should essentially see a solicitor and get the solicitor to issue legal proceedings for emotional abuse and physical abuse of you and your children. It makes no difference that you didn't report these allegations to the Gardaí. You will not be penalised for not doing so. Essentially, the case will be determined upon the evidence of abuse to you and your children. The text messages can be introduced as evidence of coercive control and any other evidence you may have of emotional and physical abuse can be entered. Such a case would normally take place in the Circuit Court before a judge.

2. Thank you for using the website. If you require further clarification, I will be happy to help. Please use the buttons at the top of the screen to rate or accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.

Buachaill, Barrister
Satisfied Customers: 13222
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Buachaill and 3 other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you