Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Can I sue ex for emotional abuse of me and my 2 children?

Can I sue ex for emotional abuse of me and my 2 children? which are not his children, twice he was physically abusive to my sons
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No I have not approached guards. I have extensive text messages that confirm co ercive control
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Ireland
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get an answer please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am ok.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Yes, you can sue your ex for emotional abuse and physical abuse of you and your children. Essentially, each of these acts constitutes an assault which is a cause of action for which money damages results. So, you should essentially see a solicitor and get the solicitor to issue legal proceedings for emotional abuse and physical abuse of you and your children. It makes no difference that you didn't report these allegations to the Gardaí. You will not be penalised for not doing so. Essentially, the case will be determined upon the evidence of abuse to you and your children. The text messages can be introduced as evidence of coercive control and any other evidence you may have of emotional and physical abuse can be entered. Such a case would normally take place in the Circuit Court before a judge.

2. Thank you for using the website. If you require further clarification, I will be happy to help. Please use the buttons at the top of the screen to rate or accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience