Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I felt forced into resigning from my job today because the

I felt forced into resigning from my job today because the stress from the conditions were making me ill. I tried to reason with my employer about it but he simply belittled me. I never received a contract. I've been working there since last October.
JA: Have you discussed the forced resignation with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: There is no HR. Its a tiny business of 4 employees.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee. No union.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Normally the advice given to you in this type of situation would be to sue for constructive dismissal for your employer making continuing to be employed so difficulty that you could not continue working. However, under the Irish Unfair Dismissals legislation, you need to be working for the employer for a period of one year if you are to have a successful cause of action. So, I regret to say that because you have only been working for this employer for eight or nine months, you won't be able to sue for unfair dismissal. However, you can sue the employer for bullying and harassment by the boss or any other co-workers. This is because your employer is liable for any acts of bullying or harassment you have experienced in your working time with them. So, I would advise you to see a solicitor and to issue legal proceedings for bullying and harassment and the behaviours towards you such as belittling you and stressing you so much you got ill. This is classic litigation territory for a bullying and harassment claim.

2. Thank you for using the website. If you require clarification, I will be happy to help. Please use the buttons at the top of the screen to rate or accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.