Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
23403904

Can you answer a question about landlords rights in the

Hi pearl, can you answer a question about landlords rights in the republic of Ireland?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Dublin
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to understand if I have the same rights when I rent out a room in my investment house as I do in my principal home?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have 2 houses. I live in one and I want to rent the second one out. There are part 4 tenancies that i want to avoid, so instead of renting out the whole house, I'd like to rent out 2 out of 3 rooms and retain the 3rd room. Will this be covered under the part 4 tenancy law?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Please cancel my request. I havent received any help from this site, please refund my 5€...
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have cancelled my membership as well
Good morning, I can assist with this. You have totally different rights as a person renting a room in your own residence to those as a landlord in another dwelling. In fact as a landlord, the tenants have far more rights. I am sorry that you did not get an answer as quickly as you would have hoped, I am only just fielding your question now.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If I retained the use of a room in the house for my own use, can I move into my second house? The leases will clearly state that I am only renting a room, not the whole house.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sorry, I'm on conference calls till 5 pm, cant take a call
Are you asking for tax purposes?
Apologies, the system offers calls, I have no control over this. I will always inform you first before offering a call.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No, I'm more concerned about overholding after the lease ends or the lease becoming apart 4 tenancy
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No problem about the system calls :)
If you retain a room for your own use, you can licence out the remaining rooms on a licence only basis.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Will this hold good even if I only spend part of my time in the room I retain?
Have a look at this link: https://www.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/types-of-tenancies-and-agreements/licences
It appears to hinge upon “exclusive use”.
as long as the licence is correctly drawn up and they do not have exclusive use....
Failing that, a tenancy or licence less than six months.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Understood. Thanks a mill!
More than happy to help, sorry again for the delay in getting to your question. Please would you rate my response?
Legal Eagle, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Absolutely will