How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 9863
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Dublin, Ireland. My son did some creative graphic design

This answer was rated:

Hi Pearl,
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Dublin, Ireland. My son did some creative graphic design work for a client in Galway an is outsanding the amount of €750 on the bill. The client has gone silent on all emails etc and blatanty has no intention of paying. Is this worth taking to a small claims court to retrieve the money? Thanks.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: To whom?
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all thanks.

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Yes, it certainly is in my view. I will set out how.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks Jim.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I await your call, thanks.

The small claim process is very simple and it should be pursued.

You should write to the client and tell them this and that you want your money back in 14 days otherwise you will sue. I attach a template letter you can use to tailor to your situation. Paragraph 2 in the letter is not relevant so you can take that out.

You can use the Court Service Online website to start a claim against the client.

The fee to start the claim is 25 euro and this is added on to the amount which you paid to the client.

You will need to register as a new user at

Once you have done that, the Small Claims Registrar serves the court documents upon the defendant. If the defendant disputes the claim then the Registrar sends you a copy of the response.

The Registrar will try to resolve the claim for you both - if it does not resolve then the Registrar will pass the claim to the nearest District Court (yours is at Four Courts, Smithfields, Dublin) where in most cases the dispute is decided on paper but the judge may decide to list a hearing in case the papers do not enable them to make a decision.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


P.s. apologies, I can’t take a call at the moment but other experts are free to contact you. If no one calls you then you will not be charged for it - an "authorisation" has been made for payment, that's all. However, the call request is open to all experts.

If you would like to cancel the call and the charge, please send an email to***@******.***

JimLawyer and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks Jim very helpful - no call required now you've been more than helpful

My pleasure, also if they cite Covid is the reason for not paying, - not good enough. Contracts are still in place unless performance of the terms is impossible due the pandemic. This doesn't apply in your case so you should pursue them for the money back