How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 9836
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Hallo. I had a bad accident a few year ago which I

This answer was rated:

Hallo. I had a bad accident a few year ago which I registered with my solicitor. I also had gone to the hospital for surgery but the surgeon told me that if he performs the surgery I would louse the use of my arm or I could try fixing my arm true physio therapy of witch I have being doing three times a day for the past three years and now I can tie my shoe lases and reach shoulder high be it with pain I am glad and will continue this as best I can for as long as I am capable I am a highly qualified trades man whom cannot change a light bulb now. This accident happened in a public place and it was the owners fault due to bad lighting and furniture strewn across the stair well. I would like to know do you think I should be entitled to compensation for my pain and the loss of the use of my right arm.
JA: In what state did the injury take place? And do you have medical records or other documentation?
Customer: in Ireland , my doctor should be able to get my medical records.
JA: Has anything been filed? If so, what?
Customer: I had it registerd with my local solicitors office.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's all the over view that I can give at the moment,

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Without seeing your medical records and medical evidence, it is difficult to say but you should know that for serious arm injuries, compensation ranges from e50,000 up to around e145,000.

This is excluding any award for your future loss of earnings. And the medical expert should confirm whether you meet the definition of "disabled", meaning a serious impairment which affects your day to day life. The bulk of these claims arise from lost earnings, care, aids and equipment, etc. So the figures above are only for the actual injury - the compensation is made up of that plus past losses and future losses too. You could reasonably claim loss of earnings up to your notional retirement age if the medical expert (upper limb orthopaedic consultant - the solicitors will instruct one for you) agrees that you cannot work again.

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you