Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Can i sue someone if he infected me with a transmitted

Customer Question

Hi. Can i sue someone if he infected me with a sexual transmitted virus?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Ireland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet. I received my result 2 weeks ago. I found out that I was infected when I was in a relationship
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have results from 2018 negative 2019 positive and 2020 positive
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 7 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 7 days ago.

1. You can sue someone for infecting you with a sexually transmitted virus if the person knowingly gave it to you. Essentially, the person must know they have the sexually transmitted virus and knowing this, went ahead and had sex with you, so that you got the virus. So, they must be aware that they have the sexually transmitted virus when they had sex with you, so that you got it. You can essentially sue for money damages in compensation to include the costs associated with your treatment.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 7 days ago.

2. If you require any clarification, I will be happy to help further. Please use the buttons at the top of the screen to rate or accept the answer as otherwise your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.