How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Peter Collins Your Own Question
Peter Collins
Peter Collins,
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 7653
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Peter Collins is online now

I wish to adopt my 30 yo step daughter. No, I live in

This answer was rated:

I wish to adopt my 30 yo step daughter.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Wicklow
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She currently lives in the Uk, and has no desire atm to live in the state. She just wants our relationship to be formalised as her mother and I have been in a relationship for over 15 years and I am the only real father she has had.

Hello, my name is*****'m a barrister and I’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm afraid that under both Uk and Irish law, it's not possible to adopt someone over the age of 18.

I appreciate that this will be a disappointment to you, but it's just not possible under the laws of either country.

Your step daughter can of course change her surname to yours, which would be a way of formalising he relationship between you, and this can be done via deed poll.

I hope that this answers your question for you?

Do let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Peter Collins and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you