Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Manager in the Athlone store. I am unsure of my future in

Customer Question

I am Assistant manager in the Athlone store. I am unsure of my future in this company and it has caused me a great deal of stress. Since we had returned back to for in June I was running the store. At that time we had ,myself(full time),a supervisor(part time) and 6 sales associates. I'm sure you'll understand it was stressful coming back to work for all of our staff. But we are a team and we made sure we supported each other. Unfortunately we did not feel the same support from our higher management, especially HR. I might be ignorant but I though HR i meant to care about staffs wellbeing. We were very busy and extremely understaffed. Just to back track, i have applied for the store manager position in January. I had my 2nd round interview and was awaiting response from HR in regards if I got the job or not. Unfortunately on the week I was told I will find if I was successful in my interviews we closed due to covid. As I said I was running the store, and my pleads to hire more staff were ignored. This put a lot of pressure on staff and me. Less staff but the workload remained the same. I raised my concerns to my management. I mentioned that I am concerned about my mental health and that our staff are under a lot of pressure. I have expressed my frustration in going way beyond my job description and not being supported, at least as an employee. All this was leading me to reconsider my future in the company. Soon after I have brought it to managements attention I was promised a visit. On this visit I was offered "promotion" to a acting store manager. I was told I will have this title with an increase in my salary. I was also informed that my management do not have any of my interview paperwork but once hiring within business continuous, my application will be reviewed then. I was foolish to fall for all the promisesWork got the best of me and I was force step away. My mental heath had suffered immensely. I have been out of work for 6 weeks, I also have been put on anti depressants. I suffer from a crippling anxiety and found all this heartbreaking. I love my job, I have worked very hard and now due to management negligence I am no longer able to do what I love. A kick in the teeth was, as soon as I went on sick leave , the job position I applied for was filed. May I add that this person has already left the business. I am so hurt. Out of work because of work. The only contact I get is from HR in regards ***** ***** compliant with company policy, This is not necessary as its out of my hands and I feel that is putting more pressure on me. I am concerned about staff that are thereI'm sorry if its not coherent. I find it had to talk about work so some might not make sense
JA: Have you discussed this with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Hr is the problem
JA: Is the relevant person an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Does the person belong to a union?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am Assistant manager in the Athlone store. I am unsure of my future in this company and it has caused me a great deal of stress. Since we had returned back to for in June I was running the store. At that time we had ,myself(full time),a supervisor(part time) and 6 sales associates. I'm sure you'll understand it was stressful coming back to work for all of our staff. But we are a team and we made sure we supported each other. Unfortunately we did not feel the same support from our higher management, especially HR. I might be ignorant but I though HR i meant to care about staffs wellbeing. We were very busy and extremely understaffed. Just to back track, i have applied for the store manager position in January. I had my 2nd round interview and was awaiting response from HR in regards if I got the job or not. Unfortunately on the week I was told I will find if I was successful in my interviews we closed due to covid. As I said I was running the store, and my pleads to hire more staff were ignored. This put a lot of pressure on staff and me. Less staff but the workload remained the same. I raised my concerns to my management. I mentioned that I am concerned about my mental health and that our staff are under a lot of pressure. I have expressed my frustration in going way beyond my job description and not being supported, at least as an employee. All this was leading me to reconsider my future in the company. Soon after I have brought it to managements attention I was promised a visit. On this visit I was offered "promotion" to a acting store manager. I was told I will have this title with an increase in my salary. I was also informed that my management do not have any of my interview paperwork but once hiring within business continuous, my application will be reviewed then. I was foolish to fall for all the promisesWork got the best of me and I was force step away. My mental heath had suffered immensely. I have been out of work for 6 weeks, I also have been put on anti depressants. I suffer from a crippling anxiety and found all this heartbreaking. I love my job, I have worked very hard and now due to management negligence I am no longer able to do what I love. A kick in the teeth was, as soon as I went on sick leave , the job position I applied for was filed. May I add that this person has already left the business. I am so hurt. Out of work because of work. The only contact I get is from HR in regards ***** ***** compliant with company policy, This is not necessary as its out of my hands and I feel that is putting more pressure on me. I am concerned about staff that are thereI'm sorry if its not coherent. I find it had to talk about work so some might not make sense
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I would also like to add, I have registered data access in regards ***** ***** process. I have received it but it seems my second round interview paperwork is not included. My second round interview was conducted by HR
Expert:  Buachaill replied 6 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 6 days ago.

1. The first thing you need to realise is that there is no legal action which will guarantee you the promotion you believe you deserve. Essentially, the management and HR are entitled to appoint whom they wish to the position, even though you were acting manager. However, so long as you get a supporting Expert Medical Opinion, you will be able to sue your employer for the work injury you suffered from the under staffing leading to psychiatric injury on your part. So, I would advise you to see a solicitor and get the solicitor to issue legal proceedings against your employer. If necessary, get a second Opinion on the promotion. However, you will have a good cause of action for infliction of bad health given the fact your employer did not properly staff the premises.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
This has taken such a big toll on me that I am crippled with anxiety. I do not want this promotion as I do not see future in this company. I am currently trying to find another job, I am getting interviews but I am so anxious I am unable to attend any of them.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have become so anxious I can't do basic daily tasks. Like leaving my house. I have received a letter from work with occupational doctors recommendation. I was advised to get in contact with work to work on our next step. But unfortunately I have not heard anything from work.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 6 days ago.
2. See a solicitor and take it from there.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your help. I am trying to arrange a solistor, but due to work induced stress I am out of work on sick leave. Which makes it hard to afford a solistor
Expert:  Buachaill replied 6 days ago.

3. Yes, paying a solicitor is always difficult.