How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 11599
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have a refund of about 4,900 euros that was supposed to be

Customer Question

I have a refund of about 4,900 euros that was supposed to be made to be 3 months ago but has not. The company keeps delaying it even after they said it would be done in a few weeks. What are my options to get my refund done?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Dublin
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: How do I file or report?
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that should be good
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 6 days ago.

Hi, this is Jim, thank you for the question - I will resolve this for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue. You would need to consider court action unless they refund you soon. The way forward would be to send them a letter before action. I have uploaded an example so you can use it (you can tailor it and remove the reference to the service being poor, etc). Give them 14 calendar days to pay you. If you ensure your bank details are in the letter to allow them to pay you. If they do not, by the 15th day, you will need a law firm in Dublin to issue a summons at the Dublin District Court. The small claims limit is only 2,000 euro in Ireland, anything more means the claim becomes more complicate and generally a law firm is instructed in claims over that sum. Here is a useful site you can use to download a claim notice and a solicitor will check it for you before you issue it - it is cost-effective and the money can be added to the 4,900 debt :

I hope this helps and answers the question - please feel free to ask me anything else. .

Have a good day,