Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

While walking my dog on leash in a forest I heard someone

Customer Question

While walking my dog on leash in a forest I heard someone running behind me. I turned to see a woman running at high speed behind. I called for her to sliw diwn and usrd a hand signal as my wife needed to mive to the side. My wife is disabled and has mobility ussues. I moved over to the side. The woman continued at high speed and swerved to avoid my dog. She charged into the dog who was frightened. My dog bit her on the leg out of fear. She said she would have my dog put down. The police came and I gave a statement. Can she have my dog put down. I live in Ireland.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I have not seen a solicitor. I live in Ireland.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Given a full statement to the police.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My main concern is my dog. I assume she will seek compensation but that can take its course.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 11 days ago.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 days ago.

1. The decision as to whether your dog would get put down after biting this woman will be made by the Dog Warden, not this woman. So, this woman has to first make a complaint that your dog should be put down. The Dog Warden will then come and see you and the dog to assess the situation and you will have the chance to put forward your side of the case. Given the circumstances, where the woman ran straight at the dog, you should be able to convince the Dog Warden that the dog should not be put down as the dog acted in defence of itself and its owner. However, ultimately, the decision as to whether the dog should be put down will be made by the Dog Warden. This woman is making too big a claim in alleging she can have the dog put down, as the decision is not hers. So, you should make every representation to the Dog Warden that your dog deserves to live.