Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My e husband is seeking a divorce after been legally

Hi .
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My e husband is seeking a divorce after been legally seperated 17 yrs . My issue is that he has never removed my name from the house morgage
JA: What steps has your husband taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I have got the papers to sign but i am not signing unless he removes my name from the family home which i left to him in our legal seperation .
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does your husband live in?
Customer: We both live in galway . Gal court
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have written to the solicitor that is acting for him stating that my name has not been removed from the morgage even tho it was a court order then .

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. I would not advise you to sign the divorce papers just like that without getting legal advice as to what you want to achieve in the divorce proceedings. Essentially, upon divorce, all issues settled in the Separation proceedings get reopened. So, you have a chance to change things to reflect current circumstances. Not just the mortgage issue. Obviously, this is important because a court order was not complied with. However, you should see a solicitor yourself and get advice on what you can get out of the divorce proceedings. Simply signing, is signing your rights away without properly considering what you want to get from the proceedings.