How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 12366
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I going to court for access to my grand daughter. her mum

Customer Question

hi I going to court for access to my grand daughter. her mum doesn't talk to me since December 2019, and I ask her if then I need to go to court to be able to talk and she replied to me.. yes . my question is : I wanted to write her a letter to see if there still was a possibility for us to talk to each other before I put a date to court this something I need to do for the judge to prove him that I still tried to arrange things ? or is it pointless she clearly doesn't want anything to do with our family. it s clearly family alienation. Also I want to be sure : I see my grand daughter through the access of my son who has her every Saturday he lives with me there any problem I ask for access if I live at the same adress ? thanks
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I have a date to put summons on 27th November
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: nope as I need to put summons to ask legal aid
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I wanted to send something like this to her ...
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I was just thinking may it is better I put the summons and then write the letter to her , maybe he will be more open to discussion to avoid court ?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
she *
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I never sent that letter cos it was written before the pandemic and all got complicated ...
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 19 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I can wait
Expert:  Buachaill replied 19 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 19 days ago.

1. The first thing I would suggest to you is that there is no need to write any letter if you are sending the Summons, as the Summons essentially speaks for itself and sets out that you want access. However, if you do want to write a letter to the mother of your grandchildren, I would suggest you keep it much shorter than the letter you have submitted to this forum as an attachment. You should simply state that you want access and why. Because the personal relationship has broken down, there is little point in going over ground which would be better off left behind and forgotten about. However, the court will consider that you are looking for access at the same address as your son. However, just because he is getting access, this will not prevent you from getting access at the same address. However, the court might be minded to make one access immediately subsequent to the other, simply from the point of view of convenience. So, you need to consider this when making your submissions to court. Alternatively, if you get Legal Aid, you need to discuss this issue with the solicitor provided.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks for that ! Also can I as a grand mother request days for my grand daughter to attend medical appointments? She needs to urgently see dentist as her teeth are rotten but the mum doesn’t bring her...And can I ask the court for the mum to attend a parenting course ? She needs to start communicating with the dad for the sake of the kid . Thank you
Expert:  Buachaill replied 18 days ago.

2. Yes, you can request days for your grand daughter to attend the dentist. If the child needs dental treatment, it is better that the child sees a dentist and I am sure the court will grant you this ability if you seek it. Secondly, whilst you can seek to ask the court that the Mum attends a parenting course, no court is going to force the mother to attend such a course, if she doesn't want to. So, you need to be realistic here. I would suggest that the Dad attends a parenting course and requests that the mother does one as well.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I think the only thing we can do if she can t get help with parenting Course is that we get more access and my son gets custody ... it just takes time . Just hope that judges can realise there is a serious lack of medical care for that child . She is 5 and weight like a kid of 10 years old ...she is mainly minded by the other grand mother who seems not to realise what is going on ... I should have send you those pics before ... we are so shocked by them .. we have been told she went to dentist and that dentist told her to brush them and stop eating yogurt . Nonsense . I sent those pics to a dentist who said it s an emergency ... but we can t do anything having her only Saturday afternoon .. she needs probably to have général anesthetic to remove them and so mum needs to agree blabla . My son got guardianship and access by court order.. but it is so stressful that all situation for him he s only 22 and he s the best dad ever ... but when he contacts doctors, school ... they do not want to disclose information unless a solicitor says to ( what the point to have guardianship then ) he is looking after her so well and he wants to have her full custody .. but Ireland seems to always give preference to mums .. despite mental issue or lack of care ... how to prove all that to a judge ?? She brought him to court for safety order cos he was asking her too many questions about the child health and she felt harassed ! Of course they dropped charges as they had no proof and other Solictor saw pics of the teeth . That’s a crazy situation as the mum just doesn’t talk at all , not responding messages either despite she has been told to in court . Should I contact Tulsa ? I called them .. they didn’t seem to worry and just reply to me “ lots of children are overweight “ ... disgusting reply . She is in danger from a health point of view .. she could develop oral cancer with her teeth ... other issues with her weight ... . Your thought on Tulsa ? Maybe ... it can be sorted by the judge in court . He needs to see those pictures ..We are French by the way And kid is Irish and we want the child to be able to travel with us ... lots to ask in court ! But anyway thanks for your help , it really helps to get my head around everything and get professional advise . So hard to find a solicitor who has the time to respond your questions unless u spend tons of euros. I wanted to represent myself but I m am not too sure. My son represented himself when he went again to court during covid as she denied access and he didn’t talk to the judge as he wanted the other solicitor just convinced him to agree arrangement quick to catch up days . And that was not the way he wanted them ... well at the end he sees his daughter that’s all what matter but we needs more access to ensure she is well taken cared of . So any tips for me before going to court or What to request is welcome !!!
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (GS3VVV1)
Expert:  Buachaill replied 17 days ago.

3. Please Accept the Additional Service Offer so we may proceed with this new information and that I may advise you in relation to it.