How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 12036
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I was at home savers store on Friday I bought a few items

Customer Question

Hi Pearl I was at home savers store on Friday I bought a few items but one of them was a kitchen scales and when I got home I opened the box inside the box was the scales wrapped in bubble wrapped so I pulled the top of the bubble wrap and I felt a big sharp pain too have noticed glass was stuck in my fingers and I can see into the cuts is there anything I can do?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: my fingers are stinging so bad still I’m cleaning them since it happened and wrapping it up
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I emailed them when it happened Friday asking for someone to contact me and still waiting
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no other than is there anything I can do
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 22 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim, thanks for the question.

Sorry to hear of the injury. I am not sure if you sought medical attention but if you are still having pain / symptoms then you should see your GP or the local hospital. In terms of a claim, you can sue for negligence and product liability against the seller - you would need a law firm for this to claim an award under the Personal Injuries Assessment Board (PIAB) guidelines. In Ireland the level of damages are very generous compared to say, the UK.
If you instruct a law firm then they will take your details and send the seller a letter of claim to outline the allegations of negligence and they will probably arrange for you to see a medical expert (not your treating doctor - someone independent) to do a report to detail the injury, the diagnosis and prognosis (how long you may have symptoms for).
I would not recommend you sue the company yourself - they will be aware you are without legal representation so they will only offer a small sum of money, probably less than 1,000 euro. You should not consider any offers they might make to you now without consulting a lawyer - you only get one chance to claim, so don't settle without a medical report to know exactly how serious the injury is. The level of damages for minor hand injuries goes up to 21,700 euro, depending on your recovery, etc.

How much you end up with depends on the injury, any scarring, any permanent symptoms, any impact on your dexterity, etc.
The question now is which firm to instruct - there are several around, you can find one local to you which deals in personal injury law here :

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any follow up questions. I wish you a speedy recovery with your injuries.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I’m just checking to see if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or address anything else for you. If so, please let me know.

Many thanks,