Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have just bought a house and therefore taken out home and

Customer Question

I have just bought a house and therefore taken out home and contents insurance as required in the terms of my mortgage. It’s now a couple of months down the line and I would like to carry out building work including an extension. I’m aware that I need to inform my insurance company but is there a certain timeframe within which this cannot be done?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have a builder in place who is ready to commence work, no planning permission etc is required for the proposed works.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: In Cork, Ireland.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 23 days ago.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 22 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 22 days ago.

1. There is no time frame within which the mortgage provider must be informed that you intend to do building works to your house. However, it should occur before you commence works on the property. So, before the builder commences work, you should inform the mortgage provider that you are extending the property. This is the time frame within which you need to inform the mortgage provider for you to comply with the terms of the mortgage. Essentially the mortgage holder is entitled to know about any changes which occur in relation to the security he holds for the mortgage. So, changes to the property, such as an extension, must be notified before the works commence to alter the secured property.