How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 12377
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I have just bought a house and therefore taken out home and

Customer Question

I have just bought a house and therefore taken out home and contents insurance as required in the terms of my mortgage. It’s now a couple of months down the line and I would like to carry out building work including an extension. I’m aware that I need to inform my insurance company but is there a certain timeframe within which this cannot be done?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have a builder in place who is ready to commence work, no planning permission etc is required for the proposed works.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: In Cork, Ireland.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 23 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Buachaill replied 22 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 22 days ago.

1. There is no time frame within which the mortgage provider must be informed that you intend to do building works to your house. However, it should occur before you commence works on the property. So, before the builder commences work, you should inform the mortgage provider that you are extending the property. This is the time frame within which you need to inform the mortgage provider for you to comply with the terms of the mortgage. Essentially the mortgage holder is entitled to know about any changes which occur in relation to the security he holds for the mortgage. So, changes to the property, such as an extension, must be notified before the works commence to alter the secured property.