Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have recently started working for a farmer. His accountant

Hi, I have recently started working for a farmer. His accountant grilled me about whether I had other income and I declared that I had rental income from an apartment that I own. I forgot to mention that I have a pension (€340 a month only) from the Civil Service. I am only 41 but was asked to retire from the Civil Service because of mental health issues a few years ago. I'm fine now but I am worried that the accountant is going to ask me about the pension when he is given information on my tax credits by the Revenue in the coming days. How much am I allowed to keep to myself, information wise? If Revenue display the source of the €340, he'll grasp that it is a public/civil service pension, but am I entitled to say that yes, I receive a pension but no, I am not saying why I retired?
JA: Where is this? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: Co. Kerry. I am on the payroll since 1 November, but only registered my new employer (the farmer) on Revenue Online today. There had been a delay because the farmer had not been previously registered as an employer and he had to submit some form or something.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Like what? I don't understand.
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: What should have been filed or reported?
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi, yes I can continue to wait but I will probably need the answer in the next 24 hours or I’ll find myself caught in another awkward situation with the accountant.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. The first thing you need to realise is that your own financial affairs are private and you don't need to disclose any more than is necessary to the farmer's accountant so that he may file an Income Tax Return. In actual fact, you need to realise that the fact you are getting a Civil Service Pension is your own personal business and the accountant has no right to this information. The accountant is not your accountant and you can tell him that you will file your own tax return if that is what you want to do. Essentially, the obligation to file a correct tax return lies with you, so you can essentially tell the accountant that if any issue arise, you will be responsible for them and you will file your own tax return. Be aware, additionally, that the Revenue owe you, the taxpayer, an obligation of confidentiality in relation to your own tax affairs, so the accountant will not get told about the sources of your income, or even that you have any income. So, don't feel you are a hostage in the hands of this accountant.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. I'm going to be a PAYE employee, rather than being a sole trader doing tax returns, but the advice still applies I guess.
If, like you say, Revenue are committed to privacy then I should be grand. I just had the fear that "Paymaster General", the Civil Service's payroll service, would show up as being where some of my tax credits are going, on a statement that the Revenue might issue to the accountant about my tax.
Good to know I don't have to tell him my business, or rather "more" of my business!
Thanks,
Sarah

2. Dear *****h, it makes no difference if you are a PAYE worker or a self employed business person. Your own affairs are private and confidential. So, don't feel you have to disclose all your personal details to this accountant.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good stuff, thanks. I gave the accountant a right piece of my mind when he called this week about how inappropriate his previous questions had seemed, so he might have learned not to inquire unnecessarily now :)

3. Good to hear that! Glad to be of assistance. Have a good day.