Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Does 4%rent limit apply to landlords who have made

does 4%rent limit apply to landlords who have made substantial improovments to their property costing in region of 20000 to 25000 euro
JA: What steps have they taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: does 4%rent limit apply to landlords who have made substantial improovements to their property 20000 to 25000 euro
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: lucan west dublin
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: property is let to south Dublin co council

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK to wate
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK to wait

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Substantial improvements in a rented property in a rent controlled zone, don't allow the landlord to exceed the 4% threshold for an increase in rent. So, even though you have spent €20-25,000 on improvements to the rented property, this does not allow you to exceed the 4% threshold for an increase in rent. You essentially have to take the previous rent as the baseline value and increase it by no more than 4%. I appreciate this might be unfair, but this is the basis for the legislation the Government introduced in Ireland to guarantee tenants that rents would not increase by more than a certain amount annually.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience