Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My mother passed away 8 and 1/2 years ago. My parents were

My mother passed away 8 and 1/2 years ago. My parents were Irish and came to live here in the 1950's. When my father passed away 12 years ago, I didn't realise that I should have applied for a widow's pension from Ireland for her. I found this out when looking through her papers after she had passed. I have applied to the Pension office in England and Ireland and after sending the documents through on at least 3 occasions I have been unable to get an answer regarding a retrospectives payment for her. I am asking if it is still possible to find out if I could claim any monies that might have been owed to her now.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. I regret to say that there is no such thing as getting a retrospective payment for a Widow's Pension for your mother. Essentially, the claim for her Widow's Pension died with your mother 8.5 years ago. It was up to her to apply for this payment during her lifetime. It will not be possible to obtain such monies as were due to her during her lifetime now, I regret to say.