Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My stepdaughter is applying for an Irish passport by, She

My stepdaughter is applying for an Irish passport by
JA: What steps has your stepdaughter taken? Has she filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country does your stepdaughter live in? If different, what is her citizenship?
Customer: She lives in UK and is a British citizen Her grandfather on her father's side is Irish Her father is deceased and changed his surname Might this complicate matters
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No not yet Not sure what the cost might be
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: Ok thank you
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Her father died overseas and we do not have a copy of his death certificate We will need some sort of power of attorney certificate to give to a relative overseas so that they can obtain a copy of his death certificate

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No problem I will await further contact from you Thank you

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. The change in surname will not complicate matters in applying for Irish citizenship. However, your stepdaughter will have to get a copy of the Deed Poll where her father changed his surname if her surname is ***** ***** name. This is to show a clear line from her grandfather, through her father to her, so that she may claim Irish citizenship. Essentially, if this changed name is ***** ***** stepdaughter's Birth Certificate, she will have to show how she got that name.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you How do we go about obtaining a copy of the Deed Poll

2. There is a Register of Deed Polls in both Ireland and England. In England, it is held in the Royal Courts of Justice and in Ireland, it is held in the Central Office of the High Court in the Four Courts. Your stepdaughter will essentially have to seach in the Register of Deed Polls.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
We are not sure if the deed poll was enrolled If not does that mean it will not show up in a search

3. Yes, if it was not enrolled, then it won't turn up in a search. In that situation, you would have to get a copy from the individual concerned or from whoever worked on drafting the Deed Poll, such as a solicitor.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
If we are unable to locate a copy as the person is deceased and we do not know who drafted the document would there be any other avenues open to us

4. I don't know the answer to that question. You should speak with the Irish passport authorities if you reach this impasse.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thank you for your time

5. You are welcome. Glad to be of assistance.