Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

House left to mother by grandparents for her lifetime, she

House left to mother by grandparents for her lifetime, she has passed away and aunt who was executor has now also passed. How long will it take for new executor to be appointed and house to be sold?
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Dublin, Ireland
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: My grandfather's will
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The only documentation is a copy of my grandfather's will stating that the house was left to my mother for her lifetime and then to be sold and proceeds shared between her siblings. There were seven of them including my mother, and she had six children, so my share will be a 6th of a 7th. My aunt, who was the executor of my grandfather's will, has just passed away. I moved home over 10 years ago to become my mother's full-time caregiver and I am still living in the house as I have nowhere else to go. I need to have an idea of how much longer I will be able to remain living here and what happens with my grandfather's will now. I have 2 uncle's still alive and they both want me out asap so they can get the house sold and get their share.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'll wait for an answer, thank you.
1. Basically, anyone can take out Letters of Administration to your grandparents estates and start the process of sale of the property. This would take up to three months but once it started and you were given notice to leave, you would only have another three months within which to leave. So you need to realize that you probably will only have another six months in the house if your uncles get their act together. So, you should be considering your next move.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
being a beneficiary, can I take out letters of administration?
2. Yes, in theory you can, but you would be under a duty to sell the house within a reasonable time. Just be aware that if your uncles sought to replace you, they could, because there would be a conflict of interest between your interest in living in the house and your obligation to sell it.
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience