Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Can I sue for filming me without my consent, I live in

Customer Question

Can I sue for filming me without my consent
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Carlow Ireland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I went to the Guards but they were No help
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can I sue someone for filming me with their phone without my consent
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 7 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 7 days ago.

1.  The short answer is "No" you cannot sue someone for filming you without your consent with their smartphone.  However, if they take your image and use it for commercial purposes, such as posting it on Social Media or using your image in an advertisement, then you can sue for loss of your "image rights".  However, if they don´t publish it for gain or personal benefit, then you cannot sue someone for filming you with their mobile phone.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 7 days ago.

2.  If you require any clarification arising from the answer or if there is some additional issue arising from your question, I will be happy to help further.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I would like you to continue please
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 day ago.

3.  Is there any further query, you have in relation to the answer?  Is there any issue arising from it?