JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Insurance company cancelled my policy without properly

Insurance company cancelled my policy without properly notifying me. And then hiked up my insurance by 500
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ireland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes I reported it to local counselor
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes. They sent me 2 emails which I never seen. They sent me a registered letter that they know I never received but the still cancelled my policy and was driving 2 months unaware I had no insurance. When I contacted them about my renewal was when they told me it had been cancelled. They then raised my insurance policy by 500 hundred euros and said there was nothing they could do about it.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

The insurer is regulated by the Financial Services & Pensions Ombudsman - meaning you need to firstly make a complaint to your insurer, obtain their final response, then escalate to the Ombudsman which should resolve this for you.

You are covered under consumer law here which means you have a right to expect a service (from the insurer) carried out with reasonable care and skill. Furthermore, the policy should be “fit for purpose” and “as described”. If it isn’t then you can allege breach of your consumer rights and breach of contract.

You should now make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response. Their complaints details will be on their website if you take a look. I can find them if you tell me which insurer it is you are dealing with.

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with the insurer which would hopefully result in a reinstatement of cover under the policy and a reduction of the premium too (or a refund if you already paid). They can order the insurer to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted poorly.

Once you have their final response, you can make the complaint here : https://www.fspo.ie/make-a-complaint/

Based on the circumstances, assuming the insurer does not uphold your complaint, I am sure the Ombudsman will do. The Ombudsman will look at this case independently and will make a decision based on what happened. Their decision is binding on the insurer. I have no doubt that would resolve the issue for you and you would not need a lawyer to deal with the above either.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim