Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I would like to ask about a no insurance first offence,

Hi I would like to ask about a no insurance first offence
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Westmeath but am summoned in court for next Tuesday in trim
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: just a summons I had to pay a fine and show proof of insurance to get the car back
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That’s is all the main info at the moment

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay thanks a million. Got the letter for summons this Thursday and I have to appear on Court Tuesday morning

1.  A no insurance first offence in Trim District Court will attract a fine of between €4-600, depending upon the view the judge takes of the offence.  This is the usual fine where you are legally represented.  Fines tend to be higher when a person represents themselves.  So, I would advise you to get a good Road Traffic solicitor to represent you on the day in Trim.  If the solicitor is already there, it will only cost you €50 to get legal representation and it will ensure a better result.  Your solicitor should highlight the fact that it is your first offence and you should express remorse about offending.

2.  If you require any further clarification, I am happy to provide additional information or if there is some other issue arising from your question, I am happy to help further.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Oh right I see. That is actually great advice sir thank you. I have tried getting a solicitor from trim to represent me but they were not available. I had got the letter so last minute that I didn’t even get a chance at all to get a solicitor. I was also thinking about asking judge to adjourn the case. So maybe I can get one at the court maybe go in a bit earlier. I have 0 experience with these things as I have never been to court also. I am very nervous as I have not had to go to court for a driving offence before. Also should I bring any of my insurance papers showing that I have been insured and have had no problem getting insurance.
I was stopped and at the time the car wasn’t sure so there will be a guilty plea.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Car wasn’t insured*
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for your time.
3. You should bring your insurance papers just to have in reserve to show them to your solicitor. Go there early and be prepared to wait as the court is slow. There is no need to be nervous as the matter will be over in minutes particularly when you are pleading guilty. Good luck in court because these cases are very much a matter of impression for the Judge and last little time.
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That is superb thank you so much I was very nervous as I just needed the advice and I can prepare myself on what to do, excellent advice I shall follow this advice! Thank you so much for your help
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi I would like to ask another question in preparation for my appearance at court tomorrow.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
How do I search for the solicitor at the district court, I’ve never been to a court so wouldn’t mind some help on that?

4.  The solicitors have a separate Bar Room in Trim District Court where they wait for cases to come on.  You should simply ask a Garda or Court official where the Solicitor´s Bar Room is and look for a solicitor there.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Lovely that’s all the info o need thank you!

5.  You are welcome.  Glad to be of assistance.  Have a good evening.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi, one more question! Could I have a possibility of getting disqualified from driving from the court if I dont have a lawyer or have to represent myself and is there a less likely chance if I get a solicitor to represent me? Thanks

6.  There is a less likely chance if you have a solicitor representing you.  I would not advise that you represent yourself.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am at the court at the moment and it is becoming very difficult to find a solicitor no one can point me in the right direction

7.   Calm down and start by speaking with one solicitor.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Okay thank you good sir!

8.  Best of luck.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have just started to speak to a solicitor he thinks that it was unfair for me to get the letter with such little notice and he is going to talk to the judge to adjourn my case, thanks for the help good sir I hope you have a great day!
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My case didn’t even get dealt with today and I hadn’t been called up at all, I wasn’t on the list for today but it was stated on the letter that I was supposed to be in court.

9.  You should liaise with your solicitor to see when the case will get dealt with, as it wasn´t in today´s case list.  Get the solicitor to search up when it will be in court.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Great thank you for the info! I will do that straight away!

10.  Glad to be of assistance.