Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have a derilict 1 room cottage on my land. It is a shell

Customer Question

I have a derilict 1 room cottage on my land. It is a shell inside. There is a argue hole in the back wall where a window fell out years ago. It is surrounded by bushes etc. I have just discovered that it is being used for unauthorised drinking. I am unsure if it is teenagers or adults. To what extent am I liable for any enjuries that might occur
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Ireland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It is very derilict, nobody has occupied it since the 1970's, no water or electricity. Very overgrown outside no exterior lights etc.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 16 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 16 days ago.

1.  Where you have a derelict property on your land and there are uninvited trespassers coming onto the property to drink there, you are liable to them for any unconcealed dangers which there might be there and which might injure them.  However, you don´t owe them a general duty of care.  They come at their own risk, but you must not have any unconcealed dangers there which cause them injury.  My advice to you would be to seal it off and block off the hole in the back wall through which they enter. Essentially, you should stop this type of behaviour as you don´t want anyone potentially making a claim or to have neighbours suing you for the nuisance caused.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 16 days ago.

2.  If you have any queries arising from the answer or if there are any unanswered aspects of your question, I am happy to provide further information that you need.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** question, if I take out public liability will it cover me against any claim by trespassers
Expert:  Buachaill replied 15 days ago.

3.  Yes, it would but, you might find that the insurance company will seek to limit its liability to you because you are not in control of the risk of these people coming on to the premises.