Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am wondering if there is another way of becoming an Irish

I am wondering if there is another way of becoming an Irish citizen without having to live there for a number of years. I understand in some other countries they have an investment visa, where you buy property and after a number of years you can apply for citizenship without having to live there fully, just wondering if Ireland has anything like that? I am a Zambian national, with a Zambian passport and British indefinite leave to remain. I am married to an Irish national for over 5 years now and we live in England. My husband wants me to be the same citizenship as his so looking for options. Last I asked was told i would have to live in Ireland to qualify so just wondering if there are other options.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Non am just enquiring. Zambian citizenship, live in England
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?
Customer: Last I asked I was told i would have to live in Ireland to qualify so just wondering if there are other options.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Am happy to wait

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. I regret to say that in order to be eligible to apply for Irish citizenship by investment, the country's legislation requires all immigrant investors to be physically resident in Ireland for at least 12 months prior to their application date and to be resident in Ireland for four of the immediately preceding five years prior to their application for citizenship.  It is not possible to obtain Irish citizenship automatically merely by making an investment, without then spending time in the country in order to qualify for citizenship.   Be aware that because you are married to an Irish national, the qualiftying time of Irish residency to gain Irish citizenship is only three years anyway.  So, you will get Irish citizenship quicker based upon your existing marriage than you will from investing in an Investor visa for Ireland.

2.  If you require any clarification or if there is any other issue arising from the answer, I am happy to help you further in resolving your question.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok Thanks i understand