Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Unless provided for by law

Customer Question

Unless provided for by law
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 19 days ago.
I am a moderator for this topic. My goal is to help you get the best out of JustAnswer.
Do you have a specific question for our Experts? It looks like it may not have posted on this page. If so, please post your question as a reply to this message, and we will be able to search for an Expert to assist.
Tetyana-moderator
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I'm looking for an answer to a question on constitutional law.
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 17 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 15 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I will endeavour to help you today.

What would you like to know?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi... it's a question regarding the legitimacy of laws deliberately designed to circumvent the Irish constitution
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (T2MQ61S)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Does the wording 'except provided for by law apply to the laws at the time or any laws going forward. If a law is introduced that directly contradicts that amendment, is it lawful?

It means any law that was in existence at the time and any laws going forward which change the law. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Can the law directly circumvent that article? Does the constitution allow that and if so, does the constitution actually mean anything?

It has not circumvented the article, the article says "except as allowed by law" meaning except as provided for in the law that is a specific exception in the constitution allowing for the law to be changed to allow citizenship in different ways. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The law being drafted directly contradicts the article, by giving automatic citizenship to everyone born here, to any nationality. Us that lawful?

Yes it is lawful because as I said, the provision "except as allowed by law" applies not just to laws in existence at the time the provision was drafted and enacted but also to any future laws. The new law if passed is the law and therefore that new citizenship would be as allowed by law. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK. Thanks for your time.

Happy to help, take care

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
You too

Happy to help, take care