Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have been victimized by an Gardai in Ireland. I have had

Customer Question

I have been victimized by an Gardai in Ireland. I have had instances of burglary and vandalism toon against myself by members of the IRA. I want to find out can I take legal action against the gardai.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: A lot has been reported all the instances have been reported to the gardai. Elaborately they have chosen to not follow anything up and it has lead to instances of more crime against myself my home and my property.
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thank you.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 18 days ago.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 17 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 17 days ago.

1.  It is possible to sue the Gardai in Ireland.  However, the standard of proof for suing the Gardai is higher in Ireland and you will have to show that the Gardai failed in their duty to fully investigate the instances of burgulary and vandalism which you have suffered at the hands of the IRA. In your case, you should also show that the crime you suffered was aggravated by the Gardai´s failure to investigate your initial complaint.  To take the action, I would suggest you see a solicitor who is experienced in litigation and who also has some experience with criminal work.  This is because the case will require an extensive knowledge of how the Gardai investigate crimes.  I would also suggest you put the solicitor in funds as this will ensure that your case receives the priority in the solicitor´s practice which you want.  Ultimately, you will have to put together the extensive evidence of your complaints to the Gardai and the knock on effect it had on you when they didn´t investigate properly. You can expect an extensive defence by the Gardai, but you should prevail if you can show a dereliction of duty in the failure to investigate.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 17 days ago.

2.  If you require any clarification or if there is additional information you wish to share, I will be happy to assist further in the resolution of your question.