How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 201
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

I'm looking for some advise regarding an oral agreement

This answer was rated:

Hello. I'm looking for some advise regarding an oral agreement which is now disputed.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ireland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. We just can't come to an agreement over the price of a job. Jobs finished. We're taking in circles.
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so . Thanks.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Hello I am happy to help with your enquiry today. Can you tell me a little more information about the dispute?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Morning. I'm a stonemason and have just completed a job for a local guy. The job was started on an agreement over the phone and as we went along there were some changes and additional work added. Nothing was written down, foolish enough, but i had work done for him before with no problems. He is happy with the job but not the invoice for it . It's not a huge amount , 8500 of which he already paid 4000 euro, which is a very reasonable price by all accounts. Anyway, I've tried to negotiate a solution but he won't budge. Could you tell me what my next step should be. Is there any point in sending a solicitors letter can I even bill him without an agreed price. Someone suggested an arbitrator but is the amount too small and who would I talk to about that. Thanks for your time. Yes I'm an idiot I know.

Hello. Don’t worry this happens more often than you would think.

First of all you should write to the customer with your invoice and the full amount of the debt on an invoice. With this send a pre action letter warning them that you are going to commence court proceedings.
If you are prepared to negotiate include this within the letter as this can be used as evidence at Court to evidence the fact that you are being the reasonable party in the proceedings.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. I'll try that. Thanks very much.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've sent him an invoice and called over to him. It was friendly and i offered to come down a bit (450 euro) to no avail . He made no counter offer . Would there be any point in getting an independent assessor to price up the job so he knows I'm not trying to rob him.

Yes it would be advisable albeit I assume that will cost you further outlay. That way you can evidence this to the Court.
What I have said you should give him a period of 21 days in which to respond.

Satisfied Customers: 201
Experience: Expert
MARTINT330 and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you